Tuesday, March 20, 2012

My Courtship story: The end of the beginning


This is part 3 of my courtship story. Be sure to also read part 1 and part 2.


A very perceptive woman


As I said at the end of the last chapter, once I knew that Rohn had been talking to Bethany about a future relationship with me, I was determined to find out what was going on. After class the next day I cornered Rohn. I stated point blank, "You've been talking to Bethany about me haven't you." He was surprised. Very surprised. He admitted that he had been talking to her and I informed him that she had not broken her promise to him, I had found out about it by putting clues together, not through any intentional betrayal of hers. I wanted to know why he had been talking to Bethany. Of course he was panicking at this point! He hadn't wanted me to find out that he had talked to Bethany and he definitely didn't want me to find out what he had talked to her about! He told me that he was asking her about my family. He said that he was nervous about meeting them at the graduation the next day and was wanted to know what they were like.

Telling me that he had been asking about my family (which was true) was intended to throw me off the trail, but unfortunately for him, it had quite the opposite effect! I was now absolutely convinced that he was thinking of pursuing a relationship with me at some point. Why would he be so concerned about meeting my family if he only saw me as a friend?

Rohn has since asked me how I managed to put all those things together and figure out what he was after. I'm a perceptive woman, what can I say?


The Canoe

The next day was graduation. I was one pathetic ball of emotion! I was excited about graduating, but most of all I dreaded saying goodbye to all the wonderful friends I had made over the past three months. I could hardly even think of saying goodbye to Rohn. He had become one of my closest friends, I couldn't bear the thought of letting him go, possibly never to see him again.

Several friends, Rohn, Bethany, Ben and I had enjoyed spending time together throughout the semester, doing things like walking and canoeing. After the graduation ceremony was over, the four of us decided to go one one last canoe ride together.

Shortly before the time we had agreed on, Ben informed us that he needed to get something fixed on his car, but that he would join us later. Then just as we were about to go out, Bethany decided that she didn't want to get wet as it was raining lightly. I hesitated a minute. That would mean it would be just Rohn and I. I knew that he would most likely bring up the topic of where our friendship was headed, but this was my last chance to spend time with Rohn, so I decided to go anyway.

Rohn was already walking down the hill toward the lake when I came out to meet him. He says that the moment he turned around and saw me running down the hill to meet him, his heart skipped a beat and he thought I was beautiful.

We paddled out into the lake, making some small talk but really not saying all that much. We could both feel this incredible unspoken tension between us. He asked me what was weighing on me and I told him that I was dreading saying goodbye and that I was going to miss him something awful! All this was true, but we both knew there was more than that. We were silent for a little before he said,*
"There's something between us. What is it?"
"What do you mean? If you think there's something between us, you must know what it is."
"Why do you seem so tense?"
"I know what you're going to say."
"You think I'm going to say something you don't want to hear, don't you?"
"Yes."
"Would you rather we didn't talk about it now?"
I thought about it for a minute before answering, "Well, we both know what you're going to say, so we may as well get it over with."
"Bekah, I care about our friendship. I care about where it is going. I've been praying about where God would lead our friendship in the future."
"How do you mean? where do you think God is leading our friendship?"
"I think He might be leading us to a deeper relationship than "just friends". Not now, but sometime in the future. Are you upset with me for saying that?"
"No, I'm not upset with you. I'm confused, but not upset."
"I know that you aren't ready to consider a courtship right now, and honestly, I'm not ready for one right now either. I'm not in a place as far as finances and schooling that I feel like I can start a serious relationship, but I want you to know that soon as I feel like I can, I'm going to pursue a courtship with you. Will you please pray about it?"
I did agree to pray, but my emotions were in such upheaval that I blurted out, "I'm either going to hug you, or flip the canoe! I don't know which!"

Ben eventually did join us for a little while. We continued to paddle around the lake a while longer, but my mind was distracted. I just had too much to process.

As we walked back to the building after our canoe trip, I requested that if Rohn was interested in a relationship with me, he would talk to my dad. He said that he wasn't ready quite yet, but agreed to speak with my dad soon.

Finally the time I dreaded had come. Rohn had to leave. A group of friends gathered by the front door to send him off. He went around saying goodbye to each one. I stood there physically shaking with emotion.

I followed him out the door so that I didn't have so say my goodbye in front of everyone. We talked about how much we would miss each other. We said goodbye. We hugged each other so tight I thought I would burst!

I stood with tears pouring down my face as his car disappeared down the road. I didn't know yet how I felt about a future relationship with Rohn, but I did know that he was dearer to me than I could possibly describe and my heart was breaking as I watched him leave.

To be continued.......




*I don't remember every detail of this conversation or exactly how it went, but this is the best I can remember.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts and questions! I would love to hear what you have to say!

Comments that are not respectful or appropriate will be removed.